openSUSE - KIWI Image System
The openSUSE KIWI Image System provides a complete operating system image solution for Linux supported hardware platforms as well as for virtualization systems like Xen. The KIWI architecture was designed as a two level system. The first stage, based on a valid software package source, creates a so called physical extend according to the provided image description. The second stage creates from a required physical extend an operating system image. The result of the second stage is called a logical extend or short an image.
Read more about the system design of KIWI in the following PDF document: kiwi.pdf
- Instructions on how to build a live DVD -> LiveDVD
- Instructions on how to build a Xen image -> Build_Service/KIWI/XEN_Imaging
- Instructions on how to build a Qemu/Vmdk image -> Build_Service/KIWI/QEMU-VMDK_Imaging
- Instructions on how to build a live USB stick -> Live_USB_stick
- Instructions on how to create any kind of image from installed system -> KIWI_Migrate
- Instructions on how to build a SLES 10 SP2 LiveDVD -> Build_Service/KIWI/SLES10SP2
Around the Blogosphere:
General places where KIWI has been used:
- Beineri: KDE Four Live
- duncanmv: Helping create a test environment for Linux
- dl9pf: openSUSE buildservice VMware image
- Kolab on openSUSE Kolab
- LimeJeos on openSUSE LimeJeos. A linux minimal edition just enough operating system for building software appliances on top of openSUSE.
- cgoncalves: openSUSE 11.0 KDE3 LiveCDs
The KIWI tools can be found in the KIWI packages as part of the openSUSE Tools project.
For a look at the currently planned KIWI developments, head over to Build_Service/KIWI/Todo.
Project using KIWI
- LTSP5 on openSUSE LTSP
- Mailing lists:
- Developers: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Users: email@example.com
- IRC: #opensuse-kiwi on irc.freenode.net
Requesting enhancements, reporting bugs, submitting patches
- Classification: All
- Product: openSUSE.org
- Component: System Imaging
- Summary : "kiwi: summarize your report here"
Convenient URL to file new KIWI bug (with the settings above)
YaST module providing GUI for kiwi is called Image Creator.