If you did not migrate your account yet, visit https://idp-portal-info.suse.com/
OpenSUSE Weekly News/49
Welcome to issue # 49 of openSUSE Weekly News!
- Andreas Jaeger: openSUSE 11.1 Goes RC2
- Joe Brockmeier: Mounting remote directories using FUSE and sshfs on openSUSE
- Henne Vogelsang: What’s Working Well and What To Do With It
- RedDwarf: Check your multimedia problem in ten steps
- arstechnica.com: Distro(s) of the Year: OpenSUSE and Foresight
- 1 Announcements
- 2 In the Community
- 3 Status Updates
- 4 Tips and Tricks
- 5 New/Updated Applications @ openSUSE
- 6 Planet SUSE
- 7 openSUSE Forums
- 8 Past Events/Meetings
- 9 Upcoming Events/Meetings
- 10 Security Updates
- 11 On the Web
- 11.1 blogbeebe: OpenSUSE 11.1 RC and KDE 4.1
- 11.2 Project “Renaissance” - Create a New User Interface for OOo
- 11.3 The best Linux distributions of fall 2008
- 11.4 X.org DevRoom at FOSDEM 2009
- 11.5 New Twitter Group Created
- 11.6 arstechnica.com: Distro(s) of the Year: OpenSUSE and Foresight
- 11.7 Linux.com: Go-OO: The best office suite you never knew you used
- 12 Statistics
- 13 Feedback / Communicate / Get Involved
- 14 Credits
Andreas Jaeger: openSUSE 11.1 Goes RC2
- "Yesterday Coolo released openSUSE 11.1 RC2 internally to fix all existing bugs marked as shipstopper. We use now the SHIP_STOPPER flag in bugzilla to mark bugs as blocking the release (see our wiki for the usage of SHIP_STOPPER) and not anymore BLOCKER (which blocks testing or development). If you want to search in bugzilla for the currently open SHIP_STOPPERS, you can use this query. ..."
openSUSE-Education: Live-CD, CD-Cover and 1.0 Beta2 for openSUSE 11.1
- "Here are the first results of the great last Meeting of the openSUSE-Education Team two weeks ago… We are proud to announce the first openSUSE Live-CD containing applications from openSUSE-Education - created via Studio by Andrea Florio!"
In the Community
Hackfest "new to Linux"
- "Some think that the information we have available online is not really suited for beginners, especially if they are completely new to Linux. We want to scan through the wiki to see what we already have and try to make it better. Zonker & /me have dedicated the whole Monday, 2008-12-08 for this. Well nearly the whole, 11:00-18:00 CET."
- Minutes Czech Packagers Meeting minutes 2008-11-25
- openSUSE Build Service 1.5 Beta 1 release
- Yabsc 0.9.1 updated
- Minutes from Buildservice Meeting
Tips and Tricks
Joe Brockmeier: Mounting remote directories using FUSE and sshfs on openSUSE
"Getting ready to head to Nuremberg this morning, and wanted to copy some files over to my USB key so I could work on the plane. (Florida to Germany is a bit of a commute, so I might as well have something to do while I’m in a tin can over the Atlantic Ocean, right?) I’ve got an account with rsync.net (highly recommend) and wanted to copy some files to a fresh system with openSUSE 11.1 RC 1 to transfer to USB. (11.1 looks very good, by the way…)"
Sascha Manns: Yabsc for Builder
"Today I tried the program called: yabsc. With yabsc you can install it with one click. After the installation yabsc reads the ".oscrc”-file and uses your identity and password to login to Build Service API. After the program starts, you see a image like this: ..."
New/Updated Applications @ openSUSE
- "PhotoPrint is a utility designed to assist in the process of printing digital photographs under Linux and other UNIX-like operating systems. Print photographs 1-up, 2-up, 4-up or with any user-selectable number of rows and columns. Create posters, split over several pages."
Covering just a few posts from Planet SUSE, an aggregation of all SUSE contributors' blogs:
Klaas Freitag: Smolt and openSUSE
Stefan Seyfried: WINE makes my kids happy
- "Of course my kids have a Windows 2000 on their machine, used only as a “game bootloader”. And of course this Windows has no internet connectivity, since I would not even know how to keep it somewhat secure. But now my son came up with that new, apparently uber-cool game from nick.com called “Avatar - Legends of the Arena”, and he really wanted me to make it work with his machine. Unfortunately this game is - of course - only available for Windows, and it needs an internet connection - something I was not willing to enable on the Windows installation."
- Read the follow-up.
Henne Vogelsang: What’s Working Well and What To Do With It
- "Despite the fact that it’s been around since 1994, openSUSE Linux remains a work in progress. It’s not perfect, nor does anyone pretend it is. The places where it needs the most immediate improvement are also a matter of debate: what’s crucially important to some is only marginally important to others. Still, there’s no question that there are key areas where openSUSE Linux is superior — not just adding individual features, but things that are actively functional. I’m going to run down several major areas where openSUSE Linux, as an operating system and as a platform, is cool."
Miguel de Icaza: Moonlight 1.0 Beta 1
- "We have released the first beta of Moonlight 1.0. This release supports the Microsoft Media Pack for playing back video and audio files. These are the same video and audio decoders that Microsoft uses in Silverlight 2.0."
Hot topics and assorted threads from the forums.
Check your multimedia problem in ten steps
- "Member RedDwarf describes how to verify your multimedia setup utilizing rpm and zypper"
openSUSE 11.0 - Installing Software
- "Forum member doctorjohn2 explains in detail how to install software on openSUSE 11.0"
December 03, 2008: openSUSE Project Meeting
December 04, 2008: openSUSE 11.1 Goldmaster (internal)
December 10, 2008: KDE Team Meeting
December 13, 2008: openSUSE-Education for 11.1 RC1
December 18, 2008: openSUSE 11.1 Public Release
To view the security announcements in full, or to receive them as soon as they're released, refer to the openSUSE Security Announce mailing list.
SUSE Security Announcement: Kernel (SUSE-SA:2008:056)
- Package: kernel
- Announcement ID: SUSE-SA:2008:056
- Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:00:00 +0000
- Affected Products:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 SP1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 SP1 DEBUGINFO
- SLE SDK 10 SP1
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1
- Vulnerability Type: denial of service
On the Web
blogbeebe: OpenSUSE 11.1 RC and KDE 4.1
- "The release Thursday of OpenSUSE 11.1 RC 'incited' me to download the KDE-based Open CD version and give it a spin. I've been tracking KDE 4.1 across three distributions (Mandriva 2009, Fedora 10, and OpenSUSE). I tried Kubuntu 8.10 and immediately rebooted my system and threw the CD in the trash. Kubuntu in any version is one of the worst ways to experience KDE (version 3 or version 4)."
Project “Renaissance” - Create a New User Interface for OOo
- "Project Renaissance, to rethink the graphical user interface (GUI) and interaction of OpenOffice.org, was announced on OOoCon 2008 and has been officially launched this week. Renaissance is a long running project and will start from scratch, so please do not expect to see something in OOo 3.1. ... Direct to the survey here"
The best Linux distributions of fall 2008
- "For the last year we have had the habit of summarizing the latest release cycle of Linux distributions, and let the fall of 2008 be no different. This time around the decision was easier than ever and I must say that there isn’t even serious competition to which distro shall the award go to."
X.org DevRoom at FOSDEM 2009
- "I am saddened to have to announce to you that that we have yet another abominable and boring X.org DevRoom at this little known and unimportant event called FOSDEM. Terrible! Why do such horrible things keep on happening? ..."
New Twitter Group Created
- "A new twitter group has been created for openSUSE. If you tweet, join this group and retweet to others. ..."
arstechnica.com: Distro(s) of the Year: OpenSUSE and Foresight
- "The Linux distro landscape is always evolving, and virtually all of the mainstream distros have made significant progress this year. After careful consideration, we decided to give the Ovatio for Distro of the Year to two distributions that we think are particularly deserving. They've both made significant advancements this year and are important parts of the broader Linux ecosystem."
Linux.com: Go-OO: The best office suite you never knew you used
- "If you run Ubuntu, openSUSE, Debian, or Mandriva, among other distributions, then whenever you run OpenOffice.org you don't run the "official" version, but rather Go-OO, an office suite based on the OpenOffice.org source code. Go-OO includes enhancements and functions that haven't been accepted by Sun, and that may never be, because of licensing, business, or other reasons."
Numbers in brackets show the changes compared to last week.
lists.opensuse.org has 36229 (+49) non-unique subscribers to all mailing lists. The openSUSE Forums have 16371 (+322) registered users - most users including guests ever online was 7771, 02-Dec-2008 at 17:31.
1870 (+32) of 3256 (+50) registered contributors in the User Directory have signed the Guiding Principles. The board has acknowledged 249 members.
The Build Service now hosts 4599 (+63) projects, 56663 (+262) packages, 9229 (+146) repositories by 10599 (+114) confirmed users.
The numbers for all openSUSE project products are this week:
- All Open Reports: 4494 (+120)
- Blocker: 13 (+2)
- Critical: 234 (+10)
- Major: 738 (+25)
- Normal: 2393 (+75)
- Minor: 478 (+6)
- Enhancements: 638 (+2)
Detailed Bugzilla Report – Submitting Bug Reports – Bug Reporting FAQ
Daily updated translation statistics are available on the openSUSE Localization Portal.
Trunk Top-List – Localization Guide
Feedback / Communicate / Get Involved
news.openSUSE.org story comment section and let us know! Communicate with or get help from the wider openSUSE community -- via IRC, forums, or mailing lists -- see Communicate.
If you would like to be a part of the openSUSE Weekly news, then please send an email over to email@example.com (you need to subscribe first).
You can subscribe to the openSUSE Weekly News RSS feed at http://news.opensuse.org/category/weekly-news/?feed=rss2
- Jan-Simon Möller (Chief-Editor)
- Stephan Binner (Main-Newsletter and Statistics)
- Sascha Manns (Main-Newsletter)
- Rupert Horstkötter (Main-Newsletter, openSUSE-Forums)cn:OpenSUSE Weekly News/49
English Deutsch Español 日本語 中文 Русский Polish Português Indonesia